The Galiano Conservancy facilitates Field Schools for university level classes. With content provided primarily through a collaboration between professors and GCA staff, the Galiano Learning Centre offers an exceptional site for place based learning and applied research through its rich suite of active ecological restoration and sustainable land-use projects, comprehensive baseline mapping, and accompanying ecological and historical datasets.
The Field School program facilitates the development of real world field and analytical skills for participants while they directly contribute to the development of the Galiano Learning Center and our programs. This work is completed under the mentorship of professional GCA staff along with a selection of exceptional resource people within the Galiano Community.
Replete with active restoration projects, rich baseline data, an old growth forest, a permaculture food forest and situated in an engaged rural community, the Galiano Learning Centre is an incredible teaching platform for place based learning. Field Schools make use of our 188 acre property, a fully functional off-grid classroom building with a commercial kitchen and a rustic campground.
From lectures in the classroom building to field orientation and GPS navigation to active restoration work, Field Schools at the Learning Centre provide students with a rich learning environment that fosters connection and engagement. Working with the GCA staff and members of the Galiano community field schools are an opportunity to gain real world experience in an inspiring context.
GCA can provide equipment and expertise to facilitate learning and research about:
- a selection of active Ecological Restoration projects in plantation forest and heavily degraded sites
- long-term biodiversity monitoring programs
- long-term human legacy monitoring program
- cultivated permaculture food forest
- native species ethnobotanical food forest
- native and food forest plant nursery
- solar energy production
- orienteering and field navigation
- use of professional grade GPS and GIS systems
- conservation planning and property level management planning
- development of environmental education programming
Bursaries Available to help your group with the cost of programs and travel.