We have updated our Constitution and Bylaws to come into compliance with the new Societies Act. To see our new Constitution and Bylaws click here: GCA bylaws and constitution September 2018
Formed in 1989 as an instrument for community-based acquisition, management and conservation of land and habitat, the Galiano Conservancy has become a broad-based organization whose primary purpose is “To preserve, protect and enhance the quality of the human and natural environment” on Galiano Island. From its beginning, the Conservancy has been devoted to:
- land and marine conservation
- stewardship and restoration; and
- environmental education and public awareness
The Galiano Conservancy prides itself in being a democratic grassroots organization. The Board of Directors (currently 8 people) is elected from a diverse membership. The monthly Board meetings are open for members to attend. The Conservancy has a committed staff who helps carry out its purposes.
Throughout its history the Conservancy has worked cooperatively with local landowners and residents. Through our mapping project we have developed an active program of conservation planning. In addition we have developed partnerships and working relationships with a variety of local, national and international organizations, and received grants and donations from governments, foundations and industry. The Galiano Conservancy will continue to build on its achievements and work for the benefit of the local environment and community.
The purposes of the Galiano Conservancy Association are:
- Protect and restore the integrity and resilience of Galiano’s terrestrial, freshwater and marine ecosystems for the benefit of this and future generations.
- Own, and hold covenants on, a network of sustainably-managed protected areas.
- Provide nature-based learning experiences to improve ecological awareness and foster environmental leadership.
- Promote land and water stewardship.
- Research and demonstrate effective methods in ecological restoration and stewardship.
- Demonstrate approaches to sustainable living that reduce our ecological footprint, including mitigating and adapting to climate change.
- To raise money, acquire funds and other assistance, and to own, acquire, and take by purchase, donation, devise or otherwise, land or personal property; and expend, sell, exchange, lease, let, improve or develop same for the purposes of the society.
- To do everything incidental and necessary to promote and attain the foregoing purposes and periodically to reassess these purposes.
From the Galiano Conservancy Association Constitution