We are updating our Constitution and Bylaws to come into compliance with the new Societies Act. To see our new Bylaws click on the Transition 2018 file, and to review the existing Bylaws click on the Constitution and Bylaws 2013.
Proposed Changes: Transition 2018
Existing Constitution and Bylaws: Constitution and Bylaws 2013
Formed in 1989 as an instrument for community-based acquisition, management and conservation of land and habitat, the Galiano Conservancy has become a broad-based organization whose primary purpose is “To preserve, protect and enhance the quality of the human and natural environment” on Galiano Island. From its beginning, the Conservancy has been devoted to:
- land and marine conservation
- stewardship and restoration; and
- environmental education and public awareness
The Galiano Conservancy prides itself in being a democratic grassroots organization. The Board of Directors (currently 8 people) is elected from a diverse membership. The monthly Board meetings are open for members to attend. The Conservancy has a committed staff who helps carry out its purposes.
Throughout its history the Conservancy has worked cooperatively with local landowners and residents. Through our mapping project we have developed an active program of conservation planning. In addition we have developed partnerships and working relationships with a variety of local, national and international organizations, and received grants and donations from governments, foundations and industry. The Galiano Conservancy will continue to build on its achievements and work for the benefit of the local environment and community.
The purposes of the Galiano Conservancy Association are:
- To preserve, protect and enhance the quality of the human and natural environment of the area;
- To conduct research programmes with local citizens and qualified persons on important issues in the fields of development and conservation;
- To facilitate public education and participation in resource and land use management, including ecologically sound forestry practices;
- To facilitate forestry practices that are directed towards the preservation, protection and enhancement of the human and natural environment;
- To promote models of compatibility between land use and land characteristics, giving full and serious consideration to the biologic and esthetic values of the land;
- To promote the establishment of wilderness and other natural habitat preserves for the benefit of this and future generations;
- To raise money, acquire funds and other assistance, and to own, acquire, and take by purchase, donation, devise or otherwise, land or personal property; and expend, sell, exchange, lease, let, improve or develop same for the purposes of the society; and
- To do everything incidental and necessary to promote and attain the foregoing purposes and periodically to reassess these purposes.
From the Galiano Conservancy Association Constitution