Dear friends of the Galiano Conservancy,
In response to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, we have made some modifications to our regular programs, projects and public services to best protect you, our staff and the Galiano community. Due to the ever-changing nature of this crisis, we will be posting updates to this page and it’s associated links accordingly.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Galiano Conservancy’s modified operations, please contact us.
The Galiano Conservancy Association
Staff and Board
In support of the Island Trust’s request for “Visitors to Stay Home” and to protect our community, we ask at this time for all off-island visitors to postpone their visit to the Millard Learning Centre, the Mid-Island Protected Areas Network and other GCA-owned lands.
Galiano Conservancy Association Contact Information
Hours of Operation
Program Centre (GCA Office): Monday – Friday, 9AM – 4:30PM*
*It is possible GCA staff are not present during these hours as they may be working from home or are in the field.
The Program Centre is closed to the public until further notice. If you would like to chat with us, please knock on the Program Centre’s entrance door or arrange a meeting with us in advance. We’d be happy to speak with you outside!
Millard Learning Centre and Mid-Island Areas Network Hiking Trails: 7 days a week: 8:00AM – Sunset (or 10:00PM in June – August)
No Camping, Fires or Smoking is permitted at the Millard Learning Centre or within the Mid-Island Areas Network.
Before visiting any GCA properties, please view our Public Access & Events Calendar for information about public closures or call our office.
|At the Millard Learning Centre: |
• Hiking trails
• Level 2 Electric Vehicle (EV) stations (please note, these are not regularly cleaned)
• Nuts’a’maat Forage Forest
• Food Forest (including our Compost Hotspot and Native Plant Nursery)
• Outhouses at classroom building (please note, these are not regularly
Mid-Island Protected Areas Network hiking trails
|At the Millard Learning Centre:|
• Program Centre
• Classroom (including washrooms attached to classroom)
While experiencing Coastal Douglas-fir ecosystems on GCA-lands and other public wildplaces, please maintain the following “responsible visitor” etiquettes:
- Stay at home if you are feeling sick, especially if you are coughing or experiencing a fever
- Keep at least 2 meters (6 feet) apart from others at all times
- Hikers going uphill have the right of way. If you are going downhill please step aside and give uphill hikers a 2 meter berth
- Hike only with people in your “14-day self-isolation circle” and keep your group size small
- Wash or sanitize hands often especially after using the washroom, before eating and when touching shared surfaces
- Please pack in and pack out all of your organic and non-organic wastes. This includes used toilet paper and food wastes
- Experience with your eyes! Please do not pick up any forest fauna or flora alive or dead (eg. woody debris, arbutus bark, wildflowers, frogs, anemones, crabs etc)
Hiking trails are moderate to difficult wilderness trails in remote areas. Please use caution and prepare for your hike appropriately.
Please notify our Restoration Coordinator, Adam Huggins, if our trails need maintenance. Adam Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 250-539-2424
Food Forest Produce
Our Sustainable Agriculture team is working hard to supply the Galiano community with locally, sustainably grown produce from the Food Forest at the Millard Learning Centre. Food Forest produce is available by request to Galiano-based caterers, restaurant owners, food suppliers and individual Galiano community members.
- Bulk orders of seasonal greens, herbs, edible flowers, root vegetables and berries
- 7 seasonal blends of Forest Garden Tea
- Garlic Salts
Starting a “shelter-in-place” gardening project? Try gardening with native plants!
Adapted to Galiano’s local climate, native plants require less water – saving time, money, and one of Galiano’s most limited resources, water! In addition, native plants support local wildlife including native pollinator species like hummingbirds, beetles, flies and bees! We have a variety of mature native plants and native plant seeds available.
Want to grow food this summer? We also have a selection of food-producing non-native plants available. (Don’t worry, our Agriculture team does their homework to ensure all non-native plants are not invasive in Galiano ecosystems!)
Food Forest & Plant Nursery Orders & Pick-Ups
See what we have in stock and learn more about our products by clicking the buttons below
To make an order or arrange an order pick-up for Food Forest produce and Nursery plants please contact our Agriculture & Nursery Coordinator, Cedana Bourne at email@example.com ; 250-539-2424
In light of the COVID-19 situation, here are some proactive steps we will be taking to make sure your orders get delivered as safely as possible:
- All Food Forest & Native Plant Nursery orders will be made by phone or emailed request only (until our ecommerce webpage is up – see more info below!)
- As licensed food operators with the Vancouver Island Health Authority, our staff are trained and certified in safe food handling and processing
- Food harvesters will wear gloves while picking, processing and packaging food items
- All orders will be distributed to customers in a manner that minimizes person-to-person and food-to-person contact
COMING SOON – Shop Online for Food Forest Produce & Nursery Plants!
In May, we will be piloting our new Food Forest and Native Plant Nursery e-commerce page on the GCA website. Here customers will be able to view and purchase Food Forest and Plant Nursery orders online. Keep your (corn)ears peeled for future announcements about this!
With the natural flourishing of Galiano’s spring, we have lots of outdoor work cut out for us and ample volunteer opportunities to go along with it! Volunteering outdoors is a great low-risk way to learn something new, to socialize and to stay active during these strange times.
Our volunteer activities will continue as scheduled!
Nuts’a’maat Forage Forest First Fridays
First Friday of the month from 10am – 1pm at the Nuts’a’maat Forage Forest
Volunteer Contact: Restoration Coordinator, Adam Huggins firstname.lastname@example.org; 250-539-2424
Food Forest Thursdays
Every Thursday from 10am – 2pm at the Food Forest
Volunteer contact: Agriculture & Nursery Coordinator, Cedana Bourne
New to Volunteering with the GCA?
Click to learn more about our volunteer opportunities and how to register as a volunteer
To keep our volunteers safe, we will be adding the following precautions:
- We will limit each volunteer opportunity to 5 volunteers. Volunteers over the 5 person limit will be waitlisted. If you would like to volunteer, please email the appropriate GCA staff member. If you are new to volunteering with the GCA, please sign up here
- GCA-food and beverages provided to volunteers will be temporarily suspended. We encourage volunteers to bring their own food, and beverages
- We encourage volunteers to bring their own garden gloves. Garden gloves and disposable nitrile glove inserts will be available for all volunteers who do not have them. Garden gloves will be washed in between each volunteer session.
- Tools will be handled only with gloved hands and will be sanitized after each volunteer session
- Hand sanitizer/ Hand washing station will be available at the Food Forest
- We will maintain a minimum of 2 meters social distancing during all volunteer activities
All GCA environmental education programs are CANCELLED until June 1st, 2020
These cancellations include the following:
- Single-day and Overnight K-12 field trips
- Post-secondary field courses, single-day/overnight educational programs and volunteer work-parties
- Adult educational workshops (Spring Herbal Harvest on April 4-5th only)
- Local Galiano education programs including: Nature Buddies with the Galiano Playgroup and field trips/ in-class sessions with the Galiano Community School.
- Education-related events hosted or co-hosted by the GCA
If you are a K-12/post-secondary teacher or youth group community leader who is affected by these cancellations or are wanting to learn more information about future education-related bookings please visit our COVID-19 Information for Teachers Page for more information.
If you have any questions about education programs, please contact our Acting Education Coordinator Emily Francis at email@example.com or call 250-539-2424
Digital Environmental Education Program (DEEP) with the GCA
This Spring, to help support teachers and parents with learning while school is out, our education team will be working on transitioning their environmental education knowledge to the online world. Look for online fun learning challenges and resources on our DEEP Webpage
We have suspended our international internship opportunities for March – June 1st, 2020. We will be evaluating the status of future international internship opportunities after June 1st, 2020.
All new summer employees with the GCA are required to quarantine for a 14 day period within their residences on Galiano Island prior to starting work with the GCA in May 2020.
Our housing needs have been fulfilled for the May – August 2020 period. We would like to thank the Galiano community for continuing to support our new staff and interns housing needs!
The GCA Education Team Needs Your Help!
The GCA’s education department is greatly impacted by COVID-19-related education program cancellations. If you are able to donate, it would help support the employment of the Conservancy’s education team and ensure the continued delivery of the GCA’s hands-on environmental education programs you know and love. Your gift would be greatly appreciated during these tough times!
Donations over $10 entitle you to a membership with the GCA. Tax receipts will be issued for donations over $15.
Galiano Conservancy Association COVID-19 Questions
250-539-2424 or firstname.lastname@example.org
March 22, 2020 – Islands Trust news release
Visitors Stay Home Request
March 22, 2020 – Galiano Chamber of Commerce bulletin
Galiano Healthcare Centre COVID-19 Questions (non-urgent/non-medical) email@example.com